Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Paper Crane

The Paper Crane

Bang, Molly

Multicultural, Folktale

Green Willow Books, 1985

All Ages

I did my author study on Molly Bang, and this was one of my favorite books that I read of hers. I think one of the reasons that I enjoyed it so much was because of the illustrations. The illustrations were photographed and paper cut outs. It almost looks like a collage, and I enjoy making collages very much. Anyways, this book is about a man who owned a restaurant on a very busy road. He was used to having lots of business all the time. Then a highway was built so people could not see his restaurant from the road. He began losing business and was very sad. One evening a ragged looking man came into the restaurant and ordered something to eat. He had no money to pay the owner with but the owner did not care. He made him the most delicious meal. To thank him the old raggedy man made him a paper crane. This paper crane was very special. When you clap your hands the crane comes alive, and becomes a dancing crane. After people heard about this very special dancing crane they began coming to the restaurant more often. The owner became happy again because he was getting more business. The man came back to the restaurant later and played the flute for his dancing crane. Then he got on his back and they flew away together, never being seen again but the restaurant continues to have lots of business.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I like reading books from other cultures, and as a child I was always fascinated with origami. I enjoyed looking at these pictures so much because they look so real. This book also teaches you a very good lesson and that is to treat people well no matter who they are or what they have.

I think that this would be a great book to use in the classroom. You could do a cultural study and even learn to make origami. I know that this would be something that I would really enjoy to do research on and to teach my kids. Also the lesson in this book is a really great one. That is what is so good about Molly Bang’s books. They always have something to be taught at the end and they are so appealing to young children.

No comments:


By Barry Moser

By Barry Moser

By David Wiesner

By David Wiesner

The Three Little Pigs

The Three Little Pigs